Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Another T-shirt Quilt July 2017




     Last month before heading out on vacation, I did this t-shirt quilt for a client.  These are her daughter's t-shirts and sweatshirts from college and her sorority.

     The first step is to cut the front and back apart.  A couple of her t-shirts, she wanted both the back and front used and some just the back.  After cutting apart the shirts, I cut the iron-on interfacing into 15" x 15" pieces.  I ironed these to the backs of the shirts and then cut my squares using my 12.5" x 12.5" ruler.  I then laid out the squares to get a pleasing layout and sewed them together.



     They chose this fun pineapple print fleece for the backing.  I pieced it to get a big enough piece for the back.  I laid it right side up on the floor and then placed the sewn together t-shirts on top with right side down.

     I placed the pins parallel to the edge and trimmed the backing to match the front.  I sewed all around with a 1/4" seam allowance and left an opening to turn.  After turning it right side out, I topstitched close to the edge, closing up the opening.

     To keep the layers together, I stitched in the ditch at the corners of the t-shirts.  You can see a little what it looks like on the back (see arrow).  From the front you usually don't see the stitches.  Next t-shirt quilt will be one for me, I hope.




No comments:

Post a Comment