Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Sewing a Campfire

Building a campfire with a sewing machine

     Most people build a campfire but I was asked my my son-in-law to sew one.  He teaches second grade and wanted to have a fun area for his kids to read.  He bought a tent but wanted something a little more.

Felt fire

     He found this tutorial on line and asked me to make it for his classroom.  He found the woodgrain fabric on line and bought it.  I bought the rest of the felt at JoAnn Fabrics.  I printed out the directions and pattern pieces.  The pattern pieces were a bit roughly drawn but okay.  I traced them onto pattern paper to make it easier to pin to the felt and cut out.

Woodgrain fabric logs


     The fire part went quickly.  I opted to sew the red pieces together with the seams on the outside.  That made for sharper points on the fire I felt and it was much easier to sew it closed on the machine after adding the stuffing.  The logs were easy to make also.  I sewed the long end together and left an opening in the enter of the seam.  Then I added the circle pieces to the ends.  Turned them right side out and stuffed them.  I chose a quick overhand stitch to close them up instead of the hidden ladder stitch.

Felt rocks

     The rocks were much harder as there were no directions for them.  All the directions said were to sew up some bean bag sized rocks.  There were two pattern pieces for the rocks and the supply list said to buy 5 pieces of grey felt.  I chose two different greys to add a little more interest.  After looking at the pictures in the directions and at the pattern pieces I figured you needed to sew the rectangle piece onto the smaller oval piece.

     I divided the oval into four and the rectangle also into four.  I pinned them together and then added tucks and pleats to the rectangular piece to make them fit.  I sewed three fourths of the way around.  Then I turned them right side out and stuffed them.  I slightly gathered the rectangle piece as I sewed it to the oval using the hidden ladder stitch.  I think they look like the photos in the directions so I must have guessed right.

     My son-in-law was happy to get everything.  There were also directions for marshmallows on a stick to 'roast' over the campfire.  Not sure if I will do them only because I am afraid of the sticks and second graders.

No comments:

Post a Comment