Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Halloween 2017

Skye, chicken and race car all ready fror trick or treat


     This year I only needed to make one Halloween costume, in fact only part of it.  My granddaughter wanted to go as Skye from Paw Patrol.

Skye from Paw Patrol

     She had the puppy costume from her brother that I made three years ago.  I needed to make a vest and a helmet for the goggles.

Vest pattern

     My daughter bought a pattern for the vest which I made up one size to fit over everything.

Puppy pattern

     For the helmet, I used the pattern from the puppy costume.

Vest

     I topstitched the front seams open to help them lay flat since you couldn't iron the fabric.  I was lucky enough to have just enough of the hot pink bias tape in my stash.  I did have to order the zipper from Wawak since we couldn't find one in the stores.  I also added a cotton fabric 'lining' to give the vest more body when sewing on the bias tape.

Gathering the wings with elastic

     For the wings, my daughter wanted a simple thing that wouldn't get in the way.  I just cut a piece of the ripstop nylon into a 'wing' shape and then gathered the center with elastic.  I added elastic loops to the ends to go over her wrists.
Adding the wings


Vest with attached wings

     I then sewed the wings onto the back of the vest, following the line of stitching from the elastic.

Skye's helmet

     For the helmet I used only 1/2" seam allowances instead of 5/8" to make it slightly larger than the puppy hood.  I also didn't sew the seam where the ears would normally go so that they could poke out through the helmet.  In addition to that I cut the hood back more from the face and also at the neck edge so that it wouldn't completely cover the puppy hood.

     I did not make the race car that my older grandson is wearing or the chicken costume the younger one is wearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment