Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Thanksgiving Napkins

Napkins ready to be placed on the table


     I host Thanksgiving dinner for the family on the Sunday before Thanksgiving.  I have been slowly adding to my table setting items each year.  Last year I bought felt leaf placemats.  This year I bought napkins and a second table runner for the other table.

Matching thread to napkin

     I bought 24 napkins from Bed, Bath and Beyond that came with four different fall colors in a set.  I decided they needed a bit of decoration.  I bought a couple of patterns from Embroidery Library.  I stitched them out and decided on the pumpkin design.

Screen shot of the design showing placement line and pattern

     I took the design into my software and added a placement line for the corner of the napkin. I rotated the design so it would be angled to the corner.

Stitched napkin on sticky paper showing the placement line

     I then hooped sticky paper and stitched the placement line.  I then placed the napkin down on the sticky and stitched the design.

After removing the napkin

     After removing the napkin, I was left with a hole in the sticky paper.  I then added a patch of sticky to the back.

Patched sticky paper

     I then placed another napkin onto to the sticky paper, and at the machine, I just skipped the first stitching, the placement line, and stitched the pumpkin design.  I did change out the sticky paper after about 6 napkins because it was losing its stickiness.

Finished napkins showing contrasting thread used

     After choosing thread that matched each color of napkin, I then put the green on the gold and the gold on the green.  I did the same with the rust and brown.  I liked the simplicity of the design and the fact that it was just one color so the stitching went quickly.

Design detail

     I then bought some ribbon and floral picks at JoAnn Fabrics and tied the napkins up.

Place setting

     I set the table with the placemats that I bought last year, white dishes that could go into the dishwasher, my mom's silver and crystal and the new napkins.  It made for a pretty place setting at our Thanksgiving feast.
Our Thanksgiving table

    The napkins looked great but then I washed them.  I made the mistake of also throwing in the white linen tablecloth from the other table.  I washed it all in cold but the napkins bled and shrunk.  I still haven't been able to get the tablecloth white again.  At the worst part is that when the napkins shrunk, they only did so in one direction so they are no longer square.  I wasn't able to see these napkins on their site at this time so I can't warn you which ones they are.

Over half an inch in size in one direction

  Still in all I had a pretty table for our Thanksgiving celebration.  I'm thinking about what I will add to next year's table.  Maybe plate chargers or napkin rings.

No comments:

Post a Comment