Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 13, 2017

A Fur Scarf

My faux fur scarf, final version


     I wanted a 'fur' scarf to add to my winter wardrobe.  I had seen a couple in the stores but none of them wowed me or they were too expensive.  While shopping at JoAnn Fabrics I saw this silky soft faux fur.  It was on sale so I bought a1/2 yard.

Elastic loop on the back of the scarf

     I didn't want to figure out how to do the buttonhole thing that most of the scarves I saw had.  I decided to just add an elastic loop to the back instead.

Scarf version 1

     I cut a piece of the fur, 9" x 45", and then rounded the corners.  I then cut a piece of lining the same size and sewed the two together with right sides, leaving an opening for turning.  Before sewing them together I added an elastic loop to the right side of the lining piece.  I just machine sewed the opening closed, the stitches disappeared in the pile of the faux fur.  I then spent quite a bit of time picking the pile out from the seams.

Gathering stitches near the elastic loop


     When I had finished, I put it on my mannequin and it looked great but when I put it on, it seemed to not want to lay nice and the lining kept shifting to the front around where the elastic loop was.  I solved that by taking large basting stitches to gather it up slightly and that did the trick.  Should be a fun addition to my winter wardrobe.

No comments:

Post a Comment