Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Honeymoon Quilt

Honeymoon quilt

     For Christmas this year I finally finished this quilt for my daughter and son-in-law.  When they went on their honeymoon/summer driving vacation, they picked up fat quarters of quilting cotton from different places.  They represented different things they saw or did while driving around the east coast.

Pattern used

     We decided on this pattern, Pie Crust Pile-Up , using the larger strips.  We bought some background fabric that would show off the fun prints and coordinate with the little more muted colors.  The navy mini print was a nice frame for all of it.

Block detail

     It was fun putting together the strip sets and trying not to repeat the combinations of prints.  After that, the assembly went quite quickly.

Label one

     Then it was time to choose a backing, and that was when progress stalled.  She couldn't decide exactly what she wanted so I finally chose a navy flannel from JoAnn Fabrics.  I did pre-wash it in hot water and dried it in a hot dryer to shrink it as much as possible.

Label two

     Off it went to the quilter.  We chose this open, watery design to reflect all the water they had seen. I gave them the quilt without the handstitching of the binding done because I couldn't do it without her seeing me working on it and I wanted it to be a surprise.

Quilting detail

     It felt really good to finally get this quilt done for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment