Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Remaking Grommet Panels

Measuring the cut line

     I had a client recently that had bought some ready made grommet panels.  They were too long and she wanted them shortened and oh by the way, she really didn't want grommets, just a rod pocket.

Pinning the layers together before cutting

     I started with the math.  She told me the finished length desired, from the bottom of the rod.  I then added one inch for the rod pocket, one and a half inches for the header, plus those same measurements plus another one half inch for folding under.

Cut off grommets

     I then marking my cutting line from the top edge.  I used pins to hold the layers together and then cut off the grommet top.
Serged layers

     I serged the cut edges to keep the layers together, plus the fabric raveled quite bad.  I then tried to press down a 1/2 inch fold, but oops the iron melted the fabric.  Good thing it will all be hidden.

Measuring the first fold

Oops, iron too hot

     I decided to pin the 1/2 inch and stitch it in place.  Then I marked for the rod pocket and header, folding in two and a half inches..

Measuring the second fold

     I stitched close to the fold, forming the bottom of the rod pocket.

Stitching the bottom of the rod pocket

     Then it was time to sew the header/top of the rod pocket.  I needed to stitch one and one half inches from the top edge.  I used blue painters tape and my seam gauge and marked a line on my machine bed.

Marking for the second line of stitching

     Then it was just a matter of sewing by following the line.

Sewing the second line of stitching

    Then using a cooler iron, I spent quite a bit of time pressing out all the creases from the packaging.  I put them on a nice drapery hanger and I was all set.

     Happy client with nicely pressed panels, just the right size.

No comments:

Post a Comment