Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 5, 2018

New Outdoor Cushions

Can you help me to recover these?

     A client sent me this photo and asked if I could help her make new covers for the cushions on her outdoor chairs.  I said of course I could teach her how to do it.  We set up a time and then started on the project.  We took apart one of the old covers as she was going to reuse the foam/filler that was inside.

Old chair

     The first lesson, we made patterns for the pieces and worked on getting some of them cut.  We played with pattern placement so we could get a matching set.  She opted to use the print on the sides of the top piece but the solid as the boxing on the seat part because we would be able to railroad the fabric and have less matching to worry about.

Starting to come together

     She also was planning on skipping the covered cord because she didn't feel like it was something she could do on this project as a beginner.  Our second lesson we finished the cutting that needed to be done and started sewing the tabs for the hook and loop closures that would hold the cushions in place.

Hand sewing the cushions together

     After a week or two, the client called and said she really didn't have the time to do the project and would I finish it up.  I said sure, and that is when we decided the covered cord would once again be part of the cushions.  I was hoping to sew hook and loop to the parts where the cushions met but I could not get it under my machine, I wound up having to hand sew the pieces together, ouch.

New fabric and paint job, wow so different

Back of the chair

     I like how the fabric she chose picked up the scroll work design of the chair frame.  The client was delighted with the final product and was happy to say she had a hand in some of it.

Summer dining in comfort and style

     Doesn't this look like a delightful place to enjoy a meal?  Let me help you with your outdoor project, Creations by Celeste.

No comments:

Post a Comment