Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 11, 2023

2022 Christmas Gifts Part 2

 

All the pieces are done


     For the grandkids this year I made them placemats with a design from Designs by JuJu.  I used my software to replace the Jingle block with their name.  I spent a couple of days choosing and cutting the pieces for the blocks.  I used leftover fabrics from the table runners and napkins that I had made for their parents.

Starting to put them together

     I hooped the mesh cutaway stabilizer and then followed the directions for each part of the block.  Some blocks were just one design and background fabric (like the elf above) and some had two designs and background fabrics like the HoHoHo and tree block.

     I trimmed all the pieces with the half inch seam allowance as directed and then put them together.  Everything went together just great. 

Binding attempt 1

     I cut the backing fabric as directed and stitched in the ditch along the block seam lines.  I then attempted to bring the backing fabric around to the front to do the 'binding'  I just could not get the corners to look nice even following their instructions.  


Backing fabric

     I decided I was wasting too much time and energy to figuring it out so I went with my usual method of binding.  I trimmed the sides to 1/4" and cut my binding 2 1/2".  I pressed it in half and sewed it to the back with a generous 1/4" seam allowance and then bought it to the front and stitched it down, close to the edge.  Much quicker and less thinking on my part.





  
     These were a bit labor intensive but I had fun making them.  Next year a different holiday for them and their parents.  I also want to do a tree skirt  for myself for next year but we will see how much time I actually have.  I definitely would recommend these for anyone that likes to embroider.

No comments:

Post a Comment