Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

October is Here



     I put in a lot of overtime last week but I finally got these done.  I had 6 long panels and 2 short panels to make with goblet pleats.  They were just a single width of material but the challenge was the 27 inch repeat and the request that the flowers mirror each other.  Once I figured out my cuts the sewing was actually quite easy.  The fabric was easy to work with though it tended to fray.  They are lined with a flannel backed lining to give them some extra fullness.  These are going to definitely amp up the style in the client's kitchen and eating area.




     Next on the plate were some quilt blocks.  The client had gotten frustrated with the half square triangles in the corners.  Nothing seemed to go together right for her.  It turns out that it appeared that she traced her pieces, added seam allowances and then sewed them together, sort of on the line.  None of the pieces were the same size.  She had the center columns sewn and the rectangle blocks for the outer columns.

     I wound up taking everything apart.  First I cut the center squares to size.  Then I joined the medium and light blue rectangles together and cut them to size.  I sewed up the center columns and then started on the end columns.  I sewed together the triangles and carefully pressed them so as not to stretch the bias.  Then I cut them to size.  After that things went together easily.

     The client just picked them up and she is thrilled with them.  I gave her a few pointers on putting on the sashing and also some tips to make things easier next time.



     After school classes are going well.  Nonie finished her blouse and is now working on a notions bag.  Kate is working on her peasant blouse.  Poor Christine was out with strep.  Julia found some cool gray knit fabric with sparkles for her tank top,  Hayley had to miss because of a doctor's appointment.  Najiyah is starting on her sewing bag.  Greta finished her water bottle kosy and cut out her tank top.  Lyndsey and Natalie are also working on their sewing bags.  Cara is working on a pair of microfleece pants that are going to be so cosy for the cooler temps.  Ellen was sick last week.  I taught Nick how to shorten a pair of dress pants that he needed for a special event last weekend while Bella worked on her peasant blouse.  Aviva and Maddie are also working on sewing bags.  Lots of sewing going on here.

     This past weekend my husband and I had long runs on Saturday and then a brick workout of a 40 mile bike followed by a 8 mile run.  Starting to build up the miles here.  Friday we have a 1 mile run followed by a 50 mile bike and a 10 mile run.  Getting ready for Miami-Man half iron duathlon.

     Sunday afternoon we made freezer meals.  By daughter, her hubby and baby came as well as my son and his wife and my son-in-law's brother and his wife.  Our son from Iowa also came in.  So while the guys watched football in the basement us ladies put together 13 meals for the freezer.  We had split up the vegetable prep so things went together pretty well.  It was still after 3 by the time we finished but lots of good meals to look forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment