Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Maggie's Christening Wall Hanging

Christening wall hanging for Maggie


     Next month our granddaughter will be baptized.  When her big brother was baptized I made him a wall hanging to 'decorate' our home for his party.  It now hangs over his crib at home, keeping him safe in God's love.

Template placement


     I bought the fabric at JoAnn's.  I used the same designs from Embroidery Library that I used on her brother's wall hanging.  I printed the templates for her name and date and arranged them on the background fabric along with the templates of the other designs.

Stitching all done


     After doing the stitching, I pressed and then cut the background fabric to size.  I cut the background fabric to 24" wide and 29" tall.  The first and third borders are the same fabric with a skinny 1/4" border of a different fabric in between.

Border detail


     The first border cuts were (2) 1-1/2" x 29" and (2) 1-1/2" x 26".  The second border cuts were (2) 3/4" x 31" and (2) 3/4" x 26-1/2".  The third border cuts were (2) 3-1/2" x 31-1/2" and (2) 3-1/2" x 32-1/2".    I sewed on the side borders first and then the top and bottom borders.


Pressing detail for narrow border


     Usually when you press your borders after sewing them on you press towards the border.  However when sewing on a very narrow border you need to press towards the inside, away from the border.  Then when you sew on the next border you use the edge of the 1/4" foot along the stitching line on the left so you get a nice even 1/4" border.

Using left side of the foot along the stitching line


     After sewing on all the borders, I used fusible quilt batting and ironed it to the back of the quilt top.  I then ironed the backing onto the other side of the fusible batting.  I then added my binding.  I stitched it on from the back and then topstitched it in place from the front.  Afterwards I did a bit of quilting.  Usually you do your quilting and then your binding but with it all fused together I decided to do the binding first.

Quilt/wall hanging back


     I did very little quilting as this is a wall hanging and is not going to be washed.

Embroidery detail, lettering from MasterWorks

Embroidery detail, designs from Embroidery Library


     I made sure to document all the sizes this time around so that when the next grandbaby comes along I won't have to measure an old one to remember what I did.

1 comment: