Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Banded Valances

Banded box pleat valance


     I had my designer come to me with a new project.  Her client wanted a simple valance for in her kitchen.  The client wanted to use the striped fabric that was elsewhere in the home but the decorator wanted to introduce some new fabric also.

corner detail


     We decided on a box pleat valance with contrasting pleats but also wanted to highlight the striped fabric a little more.  We decided on a flat band around the top of the valance.

Back of center pleat with band sewn in place


     I measured everything carefully and constructed the bottom part of the valance making sure to match the pattern at the corners and center front.  I folded in all the pleats and test fit it to the mounting board.  With the pleats all pinned in place, I sandwiched the pleated part between a band of lining and a band of the contrast fabric.  I sewed it all up and then turned in the side hems.

side hem


     Turning in the side hems was a little tricky due to the way I sewed on the band.  But with some pressing and adhesive it was all held in place nicely.  It then got stapled to the mounting board and the dust cover applied, carefully matching the stripes.  This also reduced the bulk when stapling to the board, always a nice thing.


Matched stripes on dust cover and band


     A simple but elegant looking valance incorporating two coordinating fabrics.  I love how it turned out.
Detail of corner before stapling on the board showing pattern match

No comments:

Post a Comment