Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Maggie's Christmas Stocking

Maggie's stocking hanging by our fireplace


     A new grandchild born in 2015 meant it was time to make another stocking for Christmas.

Templates on stocking pattern


     I went to my favorite place to look for ideas, Embroidery Library.  My daughter requested Santa and his toyshop.   I found this Santa checking his list.  For the toys I chose these toys.

First hooping. Note the crosshairs and outline of stocking


    I printed out templates with my software after I reversed Santa.  The stocking pattern is the same one I used for her older brother which I also got from Embroidery Library.  I laid out the templates and marked the centers.


Detail of the first hooping

     I then traced the outline of the stocking on a large piece of white felt with a disappearing marker.  I marked my centers and then hooped the felt along with a piece of heavy stabilizer.  


All 94,315 stitches


     Three hoopings and 94,315 stitches later it was ready for me to construct the stocking.  

Back of stitching with traced pattern


     I again traced the outline of the stocking, but this time on the wrong side of the fabric/stabilizer piece.  I cut it out and then sewed some eyelet lace that was leftover from her Christmas dress as a faux cuff.  Also added a bit of green ribbon.

Name and faux cuff detail


     I then cut another piece of felt for the back and two pieces of candy cane flannel for the lining.  The flannel was leftover also from her dress.

Santa detail


     I sewed the outer pieces right sides together and turned it right side out.  Then I sewed the two lining pieces right sides together but left an opening along one long side.  Then I placed the stocking inside the lining, right sides together, and stitched around the top, adding a loop of felt for hanging. 

Toys detail


  Pulled it all through the opening I left and then quickly machine stitched the opening closed and placed the lining into the stocking.

All done

 

      So different from when I made the stockings for my children.  They were all from kits I bought and spent hours and hours hand stitching them.  They all are still being used though some 30+ years later.

No comments:

Post a Comment