Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Follow the Leader Quilt

Follow the Leader quilt


     I have made each of my grandchildren a quilt for when they were born.  Now that they are getting older I am making them a larger quilt.

Detail of the arrow block

     Grandson Colton loves his trucks so when I sew this quilt kit at Mill House Quilts in Waunakee, WI I just had to get it for him.  I cut it out and made the truck blocks at home.  At retreat in March I pieced the rest of the quilt top together.

Detail of the border and a cornerstone


     After getting it pieced, I realized it was only about the size of the baby quilt I had done for him.  I took the strips that I had cut for the binding and added them as a third border.  Then in my stash I found a blue  marbled fabric.  The size of the final border was determined by the amount of fabric I had.  I also added cornerstones from the parts that were left from the panel that the truck blocks had been cut from.

Label with name 


     I had a piece of red fabric in my stash that I used for the backing.  The new binding was made from strips cut from leftover fabric from the kit.

Who made it label


     For one of the labels on his quilt, I found a truck appliqué design that was meant to be a birthday design with a number in the bed of the dump truck.  Using my software, I erased the stitches for the number and then shrunk the size of the truck to fit on the label.  Again using scraps of fabric from the kit I did the appliqué design.  I think he will enjoy his quilt when I give it to him on our vacation in July.  I hope to have the other two done by then also.


No comments:

Post a Comment