Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

May 1st and Finally Spring

SPRING!!!


     It seems like spring has finally come to the Chicago area.  Yesterday and today it will be near 80 and I heard the weekend was wonderful in the 70s with sunshine.  We missed it however as we were in Nashville running a race.  This is what our weekend looked like.

PJ and Kate trying to stay dry and warm


     That is my son and daughter-in-law trying to stay dry in the rain.  It rained Friday night into Saturday morning and then all morning with intermittent showers the rest of the day.  On top of that it was only in the low 50s.  A totally miserable day for a run.

Rainy race course


     This was the first year my husband ran in the Country Music marathon/half marathon.  I ran the first time in 2008.  Last year I took second place in my age group in the half marathon.  This year he decided to run the half and I chose to do the full marathon for the first time.  This was his third half ever and only my second full.

    It is a hilly course and the rain did not help things.  He did get a PR though for his half while I was 17+ minutes over what I wanted for the race.  I seriously considered turning off at the half point because I was so wet and cold but decided I had come to do the full and I would finish.

     Around mile 19 I started with calf cramps that became increasingly worse.  I had to walk or stop to stretch often.  I did finish and was able to run over the finish line.

     I have to give a big thumbs up to all the volunteers on the course.  They handed out cups of Gatorade and water with big smiles on their faces and words of encouragement.  The cheerleaders and bands that did come out were great too as well as the spectators and even the police.  One police officer I think was doing more cheering than directing.  He was great.

     The rain finally stopped by about mile 24 for me.  By then I was so soaked and my shoes were so heavy with water it was hard to tell that it had stopped.

A soaked finishing me


     I am glad this wasn't my first marathon, I don't know that I would have done another one if this was my only experience.  Time to rest and recover and get ready for a half in July and then our big race in Miami in November, Miami Man Half Iron Duathlon.

My finishers medal

No comments:

Post a Comment