Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Up-cycled Top

New top from scraps



     I recently had a job for a client that involved taking two identical polo shirts and make them into one scoop neck T-shirt.  After I was done I had two fronts and two sleeves left.  I was getting ready to toss it into the recycling bin when I thought that there was plenty of fabric to make a child sized T-shirt.

Front cut using finished hem at the hemline


     The only problem was is I didn't have any matching rib.  I found a doily in my stash and some ribbing that was the same color as the doily.  To speed things up I cut my pattern pieces using the already sewn hems at the hemline.

Doily sewn in place


     I stitched the doily to the front piece and then constructed the top.  Because the hems were already done, it went very quickly.

Pattern used for the T-shirt


     Now I have a cute top for my granddaughter that was practically free.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my, your are so inspiring! I have a dress with a bleach stain. I was going to try and paint it but now, thanks to you. I will make it a top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sabrina. I like brainstorming ways to salvage damaged clothing

      Delete