Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 6, 2019

A Blanket for Walker

A cozy blanket for a newborn baby

     A favorite gift for new babies is a blanket.  This one that I made for a client makes a great gift.  I have made these without the personalization as shower gifts and then with all the stats after the baby is born.  They are great on the floor for tummy time and to throw over them in a carseat.  As they get older they are great to snuggle under while reading a book.

Pinned together

     I buy two coordinating 1 1/4 yard pieces of flannel.  Then I wash in hot water and dry in a hot dryer.  That shrinks them up and also adds some softness to the fabric.  It also gets rid of the sizing.  I don't use detergent or softener just to prevent any problems with possible allergies.

Trimming the corner

     I cut the two pieces to the same size and then embroider the name in the center of one and the birthdate, time, weight and length in each of the corners.  I then pin them together and round the corners my Cut A Round tool.

All the stats

     I sew around the edges, leaving an opening for turning, press and turn and press again to get the edges nice.  Then I topstitch all around which keeps the fabrics from shifting and also closes the opening.
Name

     A wonderful keepsake and a practical gift all in one.

No comments:

Post a Comment