Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Blackhawks Quilt

Chicago Blackhawks t-shirt quilt

     My niece is heading up to Wisconsin for school and wanted a t-shirt quilt to reflect her love of the Chicago Blackhawks.  Normally when I do t-shirt quilts, I cut the shirts into 13 x 13 squares.  However when I laid it out on these t-shirts, we would be cutting off the name or chopping the number in half.

Putting it together

     I measured the tallest design and cut all the t-shirts that length.  Then using the photo she had sent of the layout she wanted, I cut the widest.  For each column, I found the widest one and then cut the rest to that width.  This allowed me to keep it from getting too wide.

Center of quilt with the championship shirts

     I did have to add some to a couple of the shirts in places, because the shirts were smaller.  I interfaced them before cutting to size and then sewed them together.  Bought some red fleece at JoAnns and placed the top and fleece right sides together.  Sewed around leaving an opening and then turned right side out.  Stitched around the outer edge to close up the opening and also keep the fleece from coming to the front.  Then some 'stitch-in-the-ditch' at the intersections and it was good to go.

     It did take a little more time figuring out what the sizes needed to be but it was worth it in the end. She was thrilled with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment