Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Christmas Gifts 2020 Part 2

 

Full finished blanket

     For my three children I chose to embroider cozy blankets for them.  I was excited to find some blankets on-line that said they had a zippered opening to make it easier to embroider them.


Doing the first set of stitches

     Well they did have a small invisible zipper in on one side but the back and front fabric were stitched together most of the way around.  I not only had to open up the side seam larger than the zipper opening but I had to remove a lot of the stitching holding the two layers together so that I could got my hoop inside.

Close up of the first set of stitches

     I used the Split Wanda monogram from Designs by JuJu  for my design.  I added the family name and the year they were married in my software to the appropriate monogram letter.


Applique fabric in place

     I hooped sticky paper and then laid the blanket on top of that.  I also added some pins as the blanket was so heavy.  The first stitches were for placement of the fabric for the applique.  I then laid down the fabric and did the second set of stitching.


Stitching down the applique fabric

All trimmed and ready for the next step

     I then removed the hoop from the machine and trimmed close to the stitches.  Then I put the hoop back on the machine for the rest of the stitching.  I did add some water soluble stabilizer for the lettering so the stitches wouldn't sink into the plush fabric.

Stitching the rest of the design

     After all the stitching was done, I then had to sew back up the side seam and redo the stitching that attached the front and back fabrics.


All pinned and ready to stitch back together


     Because of where the zipper was placed and how the two pieces were attached to each other I wasn't able to get the monogram down in the corner where I wanted to put it.  It also wasn't practical to try to get it in the center. 
 




     I am happy with how the stitching went but not happy about the placement.  I think it would have been easier to just make the blankets from scratch.  They are enjoying snuggling under them though on these cold winter days.  I have used this monogram many times and am so happy each time how well it turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment