Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 1, 2022

Daddy Daughter Dance

 

Daddy daughter dance night

     My granddaughter had her first daddy daughter dance and wanted a special dress for the occasion.  Of course I said yes that I would make her a dress.  

Fabrics used

     I met my daughter and grandkids at JoAnn Fabrics one day after school.  As we were walking through the store to look at the patterns, my granddaughter saw this three dimensional flower fabric and fell in love with it.

Dress pattern

     She originally wanted the dress with the multiple layers but I explained that I thought the flower fabric would be too much in those layers.  She chose the high/low hem dress instead but wanted the sleeveless version.  We then chose a fabric for the top of the dress and some lining fabric.

Vest pattern

    Then daddy needed to have a matching vest.  We used the same fabric as the top of her dress for his vest.

Finished dress

     Both of these projects presented some challenges.  The flower fabric was bulky and a little hard to cut evenly.  The bottom of the skirt was supposed to be topstitched to keep the lining in place.  When I did that, I didn't like how it flattened the flowers.  I undid the gathering stitches at the top and understitched the lining piece.  It still tended to bag out some at the bottom but it looked better than flattened flowers.  If I did this again, I would have cut the lining piece slightly shorter so that the flower fabric would have turned into the inside a bit.

Waistline of dress

     The vest presented its own challenges as I was using a Vogue pattern.  I find that the directions in Vogue patterns are often confusing and this one was no different.  I got it all made though and they made a handsome couple.
Finished vest

 


No comments:

Post a Comment