Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 19, 2023

Pastel Patty Cake Quilt

 

Finished quilt

     While on vacation in Virginia in July 2018 ago we stopped at a quilt shop.  I bought a couple of 'Layer Cakes', 42 10 inch squares.  I also bought  pattern at the same time.  In October of that year I bought more 10 inch squares at Millhouse Quilts and the background and border fabrics at Patched Works.

Pattern

      I cut it all at home and at retreat in October 2019 I started piecing it.  When retreat time came around in March of 2020, all was shut down so I did a 'virtual' retreat at home and finished the quilt top.  

Block detail

Border with flange

     It took a bit for me to get the backing and then my quilter had some surgery and couldn't quilt it right away.  I wanted to have the center and borders quilted separately so that the flange between did not get quilted down.

Quilting detail

     I finally got it quilted in August of 2022.  Then it took some time for me to get the labels made as I was busy using the embroidery machine to make presents.  In March 2023 I stitched out the labels and then did the binding while watching television or driving to visit our son and his family in Iowa.

Label 1

Label 2

     I used a quilt label design that I bought from Embroidery Library.  I did make a mistake by stitching out the wrong label on the fabric I had reserved for my labels.  I had a few different labels on a floppy and I thought it was the one I had designed for this quilt.  It turns out it was for a different quilt and now I had to scramble to find a piece large enough for the label.  It was too small to hoop so I had to use sticky paper.  Then I had to find some scraps of the border fabric to make the label big enough to sew onto the quilt back.  

    This quilt was fun but you really need to pay attention to fabric placement.  


No comments:

Post a Comment