Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 11, 2023

Why Should You Learn to Sew?

 


     I have been sewing for over 50 years, I learned as a young girl from my grandmother.  I have found sewing to not only be useful but it also keeps my mind working.  I took a sewing class at a summer park district program, I took a year in high school and have been taking classes all over ever since.  



     I have done needlepoint, counted cross stitch, knitting and crocheting.  My latest passion is machine embroidery and quilts.  Growing up I didn't know you could make a living doing sewing.  I went to school for nursing and did that for 25 years.  Soon after that I started working in sewing stores and got into teaching sewing.  I now teach and sew for others.  I have learned how to sew home decor items at CHF Academy and continue my learning at Workroom Tech and CWC.  


     I have found that I detest doing alterations but love sewing clothing from the very beginning.  I can't draft a pattern but I can do modifications to a pattern to adjust the fit or style.  I have done couture sewing but much prefer simpler items.  

     I have found that I can simplify sewing to be able to teach others how to sew.  I am happiest when a student finishes something and they look at it with a 'Wow I did this!' look.  Even if my students never go on to sew a lot, I feel good when I know they can operate a sewing machine and hem their pants or fix a torn seam.  

     I think knowing the basics of sewing is as essential as knowing how to cook and balance a checkbook.  Let me teach you the love of sewing, or at least the basics.

No comments:

Post a Comment