Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Nancy Zieman's Florida Tote


Templates

















     I made this Florida tote this month using Nancy Zieman's Trace 'N' Create templates.  I have used several of her templates to make different purses.  They are very easy to use and depending on the fabrics you use they all look different.

     For this tote I chose the Key West templates.  My inspiration was from Nancy's book, Innovative Bags and Totes.  I had a bundle of fat quarters that I had bought at Mill House Quilts.  I think I was originally going to make a jacket with them but I got tired of making jackets.


      For the front pocket I quilted around one of the motifs.  Then when I went to cut it out, I made it too small and had to start over.  I also added some beads.  Found some gold piping in my stash that I use for the top of the pocket.
  
Pocket Detail
     I did not have enough Create-A-Strap to make my handles so I used some tie backs that I had bought before with the idea of using  them on a purse.

     I used Shape'N'Create for the purse bottom and behind the snaps and feet.  I used Clover's bag feet and magnetic snap closures.  I did use the Create-A-Strap to make the handle holders and the purse snap.  Instead of adding the bias cover strip to the back of the strap, I flipped it around so the straps had two different fabrics showing.

Detail of snap closure


     For the lining I used the turquoise linen from my Sedona Skirt.  Because I had washed the linen it was limp and slightly skewed.  I tore off rectangles of the approximate size I needed and pressed them with Best Press and then cut out the pieces.  Made it much easier to cut and put together.  Added two pockets on the inside, one I did a decorative top stitch and then stitched down the center to create two smaller pockets.  The other pocket I monogrammed.  



    For the top I used the 3/4" tape maker to use instead of grossgrain ribbon.  I fused fusible fleece to all the outer fabric pieces and then after the front and back were sewn together I fused Decor Bond to the purse and then continued construction.  The tote is not floppy like others I have made.  I like that it can stand up.

Completed Key West Florida Tote





No comments:

Post a Comment