Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Patio Cushions

Bright Sunbrella fabrics


     Spring and summer will be here soon, as least they say it will come.  We bought a patio set several years ago and while the chairs are comfortable they are metal.  In the cool weather they can be quite chilly to sit on and in the sun of summer they can burn your backend.

     I decided I needed to make some cushions.  I bought this Sunbrella fabric a few years ago and finally got around to making the cushions this winter.  After doing some research I decided a waterfall cushion would be the best choice for the chairs.  There is no seam in front and no cording to trap dirt and water.  I bought special outdoor foam for the cushions and did not wrap them so the water could drain through if the cushions happened to not come in during a rain storm.

     Then came the search for directions.  I found this site on-line and went to work.  The construction wasn't as easy as I thought it would be as the fabric has no give so getting it smooth into the curve was work.  Also since I had changed my mind from when I bought the fabric until I actually made them I didn't have enough fabric to make all the cushions the same.  Not really a problem since two of the chairs are different and we don't usually have them pulled up to the table unless we need them.

   
Six cushions all ready for summer

     As you can see the fabric is a bit puckery.  I have four stripe cushions with solid sides and two solid cushions with stripe sides.  I didn't wind up using the yellow fabric since I didn't make cording like I had planned for originally.  I am planning on making some placemats with the yellow fabric and the scraps of the other fabrics.  I wasn't happy that the covers were as loose as they are either making the front edge more square than I thought it would be.  

Cushion from Cushion Pros


     Compared to some cushions I could buy on-line they don't look that different with the puckers.  I see they chose to keep the side panels square at the front.  This is the difference between a waterfall cushion and a bullnose cushion which is what I actually made.

It's March not January  Needing sunshine


     Not too sure when I will be able to use the cushions as we got more snow again today, March 12th, and this is what my patio looks like right now.  The calendar says spring is coming but I'm not sure Mother Nature is paying attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment