Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Colton's Halloween Costume 2014

Colton's puppy dog costume


     This year Colton decided he wanted to be a puppy dog for Halloween.  Not sure how my daughter figured that out since he is only 21 months old but that is what she said he picked out.




     They bought the pattern, fabric and bias tape.  I pre-washed the fabric since it is a flannel and I wanted her to be able to wash it after he wore it.  The fabric did shrink a bit so I barely had enough to cut out the pieces.

Fabric and interfacing ready for sewing


     For the spots on the puppy dog I didn't want the raw edges and also didn't want a lot of heavy satin stitching weighing down the light weight fabric.



     I opted to use an appliqué method I had learned before.  I cut out fusible interfacing using the pattern pieces, approximately 1/4" larger than the pattern.  I then pinned it to the appliqué fabric with the non-fusible side to the right side of the fabric.  I sewed around with a 1/4' seam allowance.  Then cut out the center of the interfacing and turn to the inside and press.

Sewn on line

Trimmed around outside

Center trimmed out

Ready for pressing


     The first one I did wasn't smooth around the edges so I pulled out my circle templates and traced a circle on the fusible side of the interfacing and then sewed on the line.  It made a much smoother circle.

Left one with 1/4" seam allowance, right with drawn circle

     I then sewed the spots onto the other pieces using matching thread and the appliqué stitch, E1:23 on my machine.  After the spots were finished and sewn in place the rest of the construction went well.  I did serge all the edges so they wouldn't fray.  I hope he enjoys his puppy dog costume.




No comments:

Post a Comment