Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Quilt Pillows


All pillows


     Recently I had a client bring me an old quilt that her grandmother had made.  She had special memories of sleeping under in while visiting but now many years later it was falling apart.



     She wanted to share the memories with other family members and came up with the idea of
Cut and serged squares
making pillows from the salvable squares.



          I cut as many squares as I could from the quilt, some were smaller than others due to the damaged sashing.  I serged around the edges to prevent further fraying or loss of batting.


 




Cutting the backing



     We decided on an overlapped opening for the back.  I went shopping to find cotton fabric that would compliment the squares.

     I cut the backing to match the height of the front piece by 18 inches.  I then cut the 18 inches in half and finished the over lapping pieces.


         







Outer flap


     For the outer flap I made a double 1 inch fold and for the under flap just a narrow hem.
Under flap




















            To make it more special I embroidered the grandmother's name and birth date and death date.

Embroidered back of the pillow

      I think these will be very special memories of a beloved woman.

Finished pillow

No comments:

Post a Comment