Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Jacket Challenge #1


For the next few weeks I am going to share with you the jackets I made for a challenge to use one pattern multiple times, changing it up every time. Thanks to Colleen for coming up with the challenge for our neighborhood ASG group.

The jacket pattern I chose was the Capri Jacket from Textile Studio. I had made it a couple of times before and loved how it fit. I found a hot pink wool in my stash. When I went to press it I found several creased ridges that would not press or steam out. I couched some yarns over the creases and added some to the sleeve also. Looked liked it was planned all along:-)



Cut out the pattern according to the directions. For seam finishes (since it is an unlined jacket) I used a technique I found in Sew News Oct/Nov 2010. I cut 1/4" bias strips and serged them on with invisible thread in the loopers and matching thread in the needle. Since the pattern called for a 3/8" seam allowance, pressed to one side, I finished the seams after each was sewn together and then pressed to one side. Used the same technique for the hem and facing edges.

Covered the shoulder pads with the same fabric and added buttons I had gotten from New Zealand.

Next up was a purse to match.

Used Trace and Create by Nancy Zieman, Monterey bag, view C. I added pockets to the inside and Create-a-strap for the purse strap. I used a narrower one than was called for in the pattern (because I didn't read the directions correctly). The lining is a turquoise cotton from my stash.

I covered cord with the print fabric and used it on the top of the outer pocket. Used the same fabric for the strip that finishes off the top of the purse on the inside.

I also embroidered a trapunto rose on the outer purse that I got from Advanced Embroidery. The only problem with the purse is that it is softer than I like. Should have used a stiffer interfacing. Over all though I loved the ease of the purse pattern and definitely need to try it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment