Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Purse-onality Fun 4 Camp


I love doing summer sewing camps. It gives my students a chance to try something very different plus a way to finish something in a shorter time span. When I have my after school classes they are one hour sessions once a week so it may take a month or more to complete a project. With summer camp being 4 sessions of 3 hours we often complete three to five items in that time frame. It is 'Sew Much Fun' to see them start and finish something in a week's time.

I will be teaching Purse-onality Fun 4 the week of July 23rd. We will meet Monday through Thursday from 9-noon. The first purse we will make is a Snap Happy pattern that has a really fun closure. I did mine from fabric left over from one of my challenge jackets.


The second purse will be a fun tote from jeans. The one I did was from my husband's old pair of jeans, you can see the fraying on the pockets. I will be providing the jeans and will also deconstruct them so the girls have more time to sew. I will demonstrate how to take jeans apart for this project.


The final purse we will be making is from the book, The Perfect Bag, by Linda McGehee. There are three sizes to choose from and two styles. I have done the medium size here with the larger part of the center facing up. I have also strip pieced the center piece for more interest. For handles I chose to use beads I bought at the Sewing Expo that are hand made in Uganda. Threaded them on some wire and attached to the purse with reinforced straps. The closure is just a button and some elastic thread.

This last purse will really be a creation of the girls as there are so many options to choose. I am really looking forward to seeing what they come up with. I made one of these before with leftover sweater pieces from another challenge jacket and it looks so different from this version.

Come join the fun at one of my sewing camps this summer. Check out my website, www.sewmuchfun.biz, for more details.

No comments:

Post a Comment