Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Summer Eating




     These are the first of the tomatoes from our garden. They are from a couple of tomato plants that I bought at a local plant sale. I only bought them because I was worried that the tomatoes I had planted from seed were not doing well. Now I have 14 tomato plants because after transplanting the tiny seedlings into the ground, every one of them started growing. I have 6 plum tomato plants and 6 beefsteak plants and then the two I bought. Hoping to have lots of tomatoes to share with the family. 

     The lettuce and spinach have started to go to seed so I just planted some more. I just wish that I could have lettuce, tomatoes and cucumbers all at the same time. The cucumbers are growing well and I have already picked a few. We even had one in our salad at our family dinner on Sunday.

      It looks like I should have some nice celery in a few more days and then time for the peppers. For the first time I had a good amount of peas but just as I was thinking it was almost time to pick them, some creature came along and ate them all. I'm thinking it was a chipmunk. Trying to figure how to keep him from eating my next batch. Speaking of critters eating our food, the birds managed to eat all the cherries of the netted tree in the backyard. It looked like they beat the tree from above and then when the branches and cherries fell to the bottom of the net they were able to eat them through the netting. They even ate all of our pie cherries this year, they had never touched them in the past. Getting tired of working so hard to feed the birds and such.

      This past Sunday was our monthly family get together. We hosted it here. I made sauteed pork medallions with parsley from our yard, bourbon glazed yams (that my hubby grilled), green beans from last year's harvest that I had frozen and a salad with lettuce, spinach and cucumbers from our garden.

     Next week I will share some photos from this week's Beginning Sewing Camp with Rebecca and Nonie.

No comments:

Post a Comment