Search This Blog

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Children's Charity Sewing Camp



     Here are Hayley, Lauren and Amy with the blankets they made for Project Linus. Last week I had a camp to teach intermediate sewing skills. This camp focused on sewing for other children. The first thing we made were blankets. The girls supplied the pre-washed flannel. We then cut them to equal sizes, rounded the corners, sewed right sides together and turned. A little topstitching and they were finished. Hayley's blanket is pieced because she forgot her supplies the first day. I pulled flannel squares that I had cut from my leftover fabric. I was planning on piecing them myself at some point to make a blanket so I let Hayley do it. She needed a little help with some pinning because she has only been sewing since January.




     Next up were pillowcases for ConKerr Cancer. I taught them the 'hot dog' method of making pillowcases which leaves no raw edges. It was fun to see their eyes light up when they pulled the center out after sewing the first seam. Again the girls supplied the pre-washed cotton fabrics for the pillowcases. They all came up with some great combinations.




     Here the girls are with their 'Little Dresses for Africa'.   I had the fabric from an estate of another sewer. The girls supplied the bias tape. The dresses turned out really cute.




     These are 'Britches for Boys' shorts made from new adult size t-shirts. I found the directions rather confusing myself so all three shorts ended up being constructed slightly differently. Oh well, I'm sure they will still be appreciated by whoever gets them.




     And last but not least, here are the girls with their bags for TLC ministries. I supplied the fabric but they supplied the cord and all the things that went inside. These went together quite easily. Lauren still had time to sew another pillowcase from my stash of precut pieces, to be donated to ConKerr Cancer also.




     And here they are, turning in their blankets and pillowcases to Jennifer at Quilt Play in downtown Grayslake. What a great week we had. Many thanks to their parents who instilled in them a sense of giving to others. I thank God for the chance to be able to share my love of sewing with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment