Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

ASG Conference 2012


     This year's conference was held in Houston, Texas.  I had an afternoon flight from Chicago which was of course delayed.  By the time I got to the hotel, the fashion show rehearsal was long over.  I was unable to connect with the person in charge but luckily the next morning I happened to sit at the table with her assistant.  She filled me in on everything I needed to know.  I did get a chance to peruse the vendor hall on Thursday evening and purchase the supplies I needed for Sunday's class.

    The first class I had was Strategic Sewing with Nancy Nix-Rice.  I learned all about column dressing and working with a core wardrobe.  I had really wanted to do a color consultation with her at conference but my schedule just didn't allow for it.  I did get a quick one with a scarf to start working on my pieces.  I got some wonderful fabrics from Louise Cutting to make a jacket, top and pants.

     Speaking of pants, my next class was with Louise and learning more about her updated One Seam Pants pattern.  I had used her older one with success and am looking forward to sewing up some pants with her new one.
 
     That afternoon I had a class with Rae Cumbie, A Year of Jackets.  I found it to be quite interesting since having done something similar as a neighborhood group challenge last year.  Here are some photos of a few of the jackets she had made.






  

     This was such an inspiring class.  After a little time in the vendor hall I had to report for the fashion show.  This was my first time on stage instead of in the audience.  There was a lot of standing around and waiting but I was also able to see everything close up.  I modeled my pink denim skirt in the recycled category.  Here are a couple of photos from backstage.




     The next day I took a jeans fitting workshop with Jennifer Stern-Haseman.  It was an all day class but I was able to walk out with a fitted muslin and the correct alterations on my pattern pieces.  I can't wait to sew up a pair.  Jennifer is the same instructor I took the jeans to skirt class from last year.  It was neat to be able to show it in the fashion show especially since she was in the same group as I was.  Here we are hard at work in class.
 



     That evening there was a scheduled outing to a baseball game at Minute Maid Park.  The Astros lost 12-4 but it was fun getting to see the stadium.  We had seats together and just had a good time.  Here are four of us loyal baseball fans all wearing our team colors.




     The next day was another all day class.  This one was The Carry-All Bag with Cheryl Kuczek.  The tote features faux leather bottom and handles.  We learned how to sew the faux leather and many tips on putting the bag together.  I have the outside and lining done and together and the straps stitched.  Just have to do the belt, belt loops and then bind the top.  It was fun to see all the different combos people were using.

     Sunday evening I went out to dinner with Carole who I met at the baseball game.  She is the Cardinals fan in the photo and I am the Cubs fan.  We did manage not to get into an argument about baseball:-)

 


     This last photo is the view from my room.  It was quite pretty at night with all the lights.  Then it was back home Monday morning on another delayed flight but still made it to O'Hare in time to take the train to Prairie Crossing so my wonderful hubby didn't have to drive all the way to the airport to get me.

     Next year the conference is going to be outside Washington, D.C. I am already making plans to go.  If you ever get a chance, you should attend one.  I am amazed by all I can learn ever after sewing for almost 50 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment