Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Back to Work, Part Two



     Here is a photo of the completed quilt top.  Last week I wrote about how the mom and daughter did the hard work of cutting apart the shirts and ironing on the interfacing.  I then cut them into neat rectangles and played around with layouts until I got one I liked.

      In order to construct the quilt I had to make the t-shirt rectangles into four columns that I could sew together.  I added fabric to the side(s) of the rectangles to get even widths.  Each column was a different width that helped to give it a more random look that the daughter desired.

     I added fabric pieces between the t-shirts to get the same length for each column.  On a few that were already the same width, I added the fabric between first and then added the side piece.  Each step was measure, cut, sew, press and then back to the floor for the next one.

     For the border, I cut strips of fabric the same width but different lengths and pieced them together.  After measuring the quilt in three places, I determined the size of the borders.  I added the side borders first and then the top and bottom ones.

     The client is now shopping for the backing material and then I will take it all to the quilter to have it quilted together.





     These are the fabrics I used for the quilt.   I think last week I said I had four fabrics but I really used five different ones.  I am curious to see what the daughter chooses for the backing after she and her mom saw the quilt top.

     Training for my marathon is coming along nicely, I did 16 miles this past weekend.  This coming weekend I will be in Houston for the ASG Conference so I won't do my 18 miles until Tuesday next week.  Next week I will tell you all about conference.  I leave tomorrow and am so excited to be going to learn more things.

No comments:

Post a Comment