Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Valances for my Mom

Completed box pleat valance


     My mom moved into a senior living place a couple of years ago.  There were no window treatments except for mini blinds.  I decided it was time for something a little more for her windows so for her birthday and Christmas presents I made her some valances.

Cutting the pieces


     The colors were brown and beige in the rooms and she wanted something neutral.  I found some fabrics at Joann's that fit the bill.  For her bedroom I chose this quatrefoil print.  I chose a box pleat valance with contrasting inserts to go along with the box pleat bedskirt I had done for her last place.

Detail of pattern placement on the box pleat


     I opted to go with four pleats because I didn't feel that two were enough and three looked too square.  I then decided to make each one the same instead of continuing the pattern all the way across.  It is a good thing I bought as much fabric as I did because it turned out the pattern changed size from left to right across the width.  That is always a risk you take when buying cheaper fabric.

Detail of pattern matching at the corner


     After deciding how I wanted to highlight the pattern, I cut my first piece and then used it as my guide to cut the other three pieces.  For the side pleats I opted to continue the pattern around.  Once the cutting was done the rest went together smoothly.  I used my tag gun to control the pleats.

Hanging in my mom's bedroom



     For the living room valance I opted to do a shaped valance with trim.  Again very neutral colors but some texture keeps it from looking boring.  This fabric was a heavier almost upholstery weight fabric so I didn't need to use any skirtex inside to hold the shape.  Just a gentle curve and then used fringe adhesive to put on the trim,

Shaped valance hanging in my mom's living room


     I think these met with my mom's idea of just something simple and with my idea of something interesting.


No comments:

Post a Comment