Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Backing for an Afghan

Afghan knitted by a client



     A client came to me looking to add a backing to an afghan she had knitted.  She was concerned about the edges curling.  She brought me a sheet to use for the backing.

Sheet for the backing


     She also wanted the recipient's name to be embroidered on the afghan.  I told her it would get lost in the textured stitches so we opted to embroider the backing instead.

Embroidered backing


     After carefully measuring the afghan I cut the sheet slightly larger and turned and pressed and stitched the edges.

Pinning the backing in place

     I then pinned the backing to the afghan, allowing for the off white edge stitch to frame the backing.

Sewing on the backing


     I then sewed close to the fold, right next to the edge of the afghan.  This did help a little to square up and flatten the afghan but not completely as the backing was so soft.  The client was happy with the final result and couldn't wait to give it as a gift.


No comments:

Post a Comment