Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Pastel Hexagon Pinwheels Quilt

Pastel Hexagon Pinwheels Quilt


     This was a very frustrating quilt.  I bought the Grunge Pastel fat stack and pattern at Patched Works.  I also bought the special ruler that the pattern called for.  The white background fabric I had in my stash.  I spent a long time cutting the 288 background triangles that the pattern said I needed.  I lost count after a while. 

Block detail

     During quilt retreat in March of 2019, I pieced the color strips and cut the triangles.  So far, so good.  Then I started to put them together.  I did them like a spider web instead of pinwheels.  Fortunately my friend Kris caught it when I was about halfway through.  Everyone at retreat helped take them apart.  


Quilting detail
    
      There were no directions for pressing or adding the background pieces.  When I had all of the blocks done, I had a ton of background triangles left.  WHY?  When I started to put the blocks up on the design wall, I had only half of the number of hexagons that the pattern called for.  If you do the math, you can only get 36 blocks, not 72, when you have 12 fat quarters which is what the pattern called for.  How can someone whose job it is to write up quilt patterns be SO WRONG! They even had a store sample hanging that was 6 x 6 blocks but stated that the finished size was 70" x 89".  Come on, didn't they see the discrepancy either?  

Label 1


     I opted to make my quilt 5 x 7 blocks and I used the remaining block for my quilt label.  I used white flannel from JoAnn Fabrics for the backing and the left over strips of fabric pieced together for the binding.  Joni used the 'Broken Glass' pattern for the quilting.    

Label 2

     The quilt turned out cute enough but I will always see frustration when I look at it.  The pattern was definitely not worth the money, I have had better directions with free ones from the internet.  


No comments:

Post a Comment