Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 7, 2021

Flat Bottom Pillow

 

Flat bottom pillow, one side

     I had saved an article from Sew News magazine about a flat bottom pillow.  The idea was that a flat bottom would prevent the pillow from sliding around, especially on leather sofas or chairs.  I chose a fun chenille type fabric from my stash to make this sample.

Second side

     I chose to highlight two different parts of the fabric so I could have two different looks.  I then chose a striped fabric to make the covered cord for the three sides.  The directions in the article were okay except for the bottom dimensions.  If you do the math, you do not need the bottom pieces to be as long as the top pieces are wide since part of the width is reduced when you square off the bottom.  

Bottom piece pattern matched to the fronts

     Once I figured out the correct size for the bottom piece, I was able to do some pattern matching.  It went together fairly easily once the pieces were the correct size.  The article directions did not call for cording along the bottom edge but now when I look at the photos, I wonder if it would have looked even better.  What do you think?

Detail of the corner

     I do like the stripe fabric cut on the bias for the covered cord, it gives a kind of swirl effect. 

Article from Sew News 2014

     I do think the flat bottom could be a solution to those times when you want a pillow to stay in place better.  

No comments:

Post a Comment