Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Loft Dress Alteration

 

Loft dress

     I saw this really cute dress online at Loft.  When I went to order it, the smallest size they had was a medium, I really wanted a small.  I ordered it anyway to see how it fit.

Sleeve removed

     Well it was way too big on top but the hips were okay.  I decided to take it in at the top but I couldn't just quickly stitch up a side seam because then the sleeves wouldn't be right.  First step was to remove the the sleeves.

Armscye pattern

     Then I traced the armhole cutting line on some pattern tracing material.

New side seam

     I stitched up a new side seam, now the dress fit better at the top.

Cutting the armscye

     I then laid the pattern I had traced and recut the armhole opening.  This ensured that the sleeve would fit back it properly.

Stitched on sleeve

     I carefully pinned the sleeve in place and used the sewing machine to stitch it together.  This allows for better control than the serger.

All serged

     Afterwards, I used the serger to finish off the seam.  Now it fits nicely and I can enjoy wearing it.  This did take some time, having to carefully remove the sleeves and all.  I will do alterations like these for myself but it doesn't pay to do them for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment