Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Pleated Frame Pillow

 

Completed pleated framed pillow

     I wanted to try another framed pillow.  This time I pleated the frame pieces before assembling the pillow.

Pleating the frame pieces

     I cut strips about twice the finished length and then used my 3/4" pleater to make the pleats.  I sewed close to the edge as I folded the fabric.  Then I pressed the pleats in place and sewed close to the other edge.  

Interfacing on the back

     I applied lightweight fusible interfacing to the back to hold it all together.  


Closeup of finished frame piece
 

     I then serged the outer edge to prevent any raveling.  I realized later that this step was not necessary as I serged a lining piece to the completed front.  These completed strips were then cut the length of the finished pillow edge.

Stitching the corner
 
     I sewed the corners at a 45 degree angle, stopping at 1/2" from the inner edge.

Completed frame


     I pressed the seams open and then stitched the inner piece into place, pivoting at the corners.  On this pillow I did not add a cording between the inner piece and the frame.

Ready to finish

     I then serged a piece of lining to the completed front and stitched in the ditch around the framed fabric. I made a covered cord out of the same fabric as the framed fabric and stitched that to the front piece.  I completed my back with the zipper opening and then sewed it all together.

Corner detail

     I did not cut off the dog ears on this pillow as I did not want to change the size of the frame.  This was a bit more labor intensive than just a plain frame but it did add detail to the pillow without detracting from the pretty center fabric.

No comments:

Post a Comment