Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Teal Velvet Top

 

Finished top

     Recently I sewed several tops for myself.  At the beginning of each year, I make a list of sewing goals I want to accomplish during the year.  I put on the list for this year several tops I had in mind.

Pattern used

      The first of these was this teal crushed stretch velvet top.  I found the pattern and fabric on sale at JoAnn Fabrics.  I had wanted another 'velvet' top but this time with long sleeves.  The last one I made had 3/4 sleeves and just didn't do anything to keep me warm.

Button from stash

     I found buttons in my stash that matched the fabric perfectly.  I was considering a contrast button but didn't want to limit what else I could wear with the top.

Shoulder detail

     I chose view A with the long cuffed sleeves and the button up shoulder.  I did change a few things.  First I opted not to do buttonholes and used snaps instead.  My thoughts were that trying to button something up on my shoulder would not be easy.  Also I sewed the opening closed a little bit, just leaving enough of an opening to pull it over my head.  Since the front and back facings had interfacing, the fabric no longer had any stretch.  The one part of the directions that I didn't agree with, was doing the buttonholes at the very end.  Not sure how easy it would have been to try to do one close to the shoulder seam.  


     All in all I did think the top went together well and I like the shirttail hem. It is comfortable and pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment