Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 2, 2022

Button and Bows Pillow

 

Button and Bows pillow


     I had saved some articles from old Sew News magazines with clothing detail ideas.  I don't think I will use them for clothing, but I thought they would make great pillow details.

Sew News article

     This article from December 2012/January 2013 had some fun bows and covered buttons.  I looked through my stash of fabrics and chose the brown corduroy that I had bought for slipcovers for my son'd chairs and the cream linen like fabric that I had gotten from a friend.  I also looked through my stash of buttons and found some cool wood ones.

Article details

      I thought the wood buttons would show up better than matching covered buttons like in the article.  Using the dimensions in the article I cut the three pieces for the front of the pillow.  I fashioned the bows and sewed everything together.  I found loop fringe in my stash and used that for the pillow edge.  Usually I cut my pillow fronts the size of the pillow and cut off the dog-ears.  This time I cut the front and back one inch larger (cut 19" for an 18" pillow) because I didn't want the cover to be tight on the form and pull too much on the bows.  Also because of the wale of the corduroy, I kept the edges straight and didn't trim off the dog-ears.
Bows and buttons details

     I think I will make a few more pillows with these two fabrics and see what other 'dress details' I can use. 

Fringe detail


No comments:

Post a Comment