Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Grommet Pillow

 

Grommet pillow

     I had seen a pillow with grommets on Pinterest.  I decided I wanted to try to make one myself.  The fabrics were in my stash from previous projects.  The grommets I bought from Home Sewing Depot.  They are plastic but look like wood.

Testing the grommet

     I knew that I needed to add some body to the accent strip piece so that the grommets would not come off.  I backed the fabric with a fusible stabilizer from Rowley Company.  After doing a test, I found the grommet would still unlock so it could come off.  I asked on Facebook about a solution.  Some suggested I use buckram like they use in drapery panels.  The problem was I didn't want it that stiff.  I decided to just use Rowley's fringe adhesive when I applied the grommets.  That seemed to do the trick.

Accent strip

      I knew I wanted the grommets to be a prominent feature on the pillow so I needed to make a larger sized pillow.  I used a 27" x 27" pillow form.  I made the accent strip wide enough to accommodate the grommets but not so wide as to overwhelm the pillow front.  I figured out my spacing, keeping the top and bottom grommets slightly further from the edge than the space in-between.  This made sure that those grommets were not lost on the top or bottom.  Since I was going to cut away the fabric and the edge would be under the grommet, I just used a regular ink pen to draw my circles.  

Stripes behind the grommets

     I played around a little with the placement of the accent strip.  I liked it best when the stripes of the fabric were centered in the grommet opening.  I topstitched the strip in place with contrasting thread, mimicking the stripes of the fabric.

Top of pillow

     I cut the back to match the front.  The covered cord was made from the same fabric as the accent strip.  I made sure the zipper placket also lined up.

Bottom of pillow

     This was a fun sample to make.  Let me know if I can make some fun pillows for you also.

No comments:

Post a Comment