Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 24, 2022

ASG Conference 2022

 

San Antonio RiverWalk

     The ASG (American Sewing Guild) conference was held in San Antonio from June 29 through July 3 with the main three days being July 1-3.  After being cancelled for the last two years because of Covid it was nice to have it back.  The last time I attended the conference was in 2016 when it was in Indianapolis. Other things just kept getting in my way it seemed like.

Shrug, seam in front

Shrug, seams on shoulders

     The first class I took was Serge a Stunning Silk Shrug with Katrina Walker.  We supplied our own fabric and thread but the conference supplied the sergers.  This was a fun project that made a nice shoulder cover for chilly venues on hot days.  You could wear it with either the seam front and back, making it longer or with the seams on the shoulders, providing more arm coverage.  Needs only one yard of fabric.

     After that class I had a lecture class, Faux Leather and Cork Embroidery with Ellen March.  We learned tips and tricks for embroidering on those fabrics plus where to source good quality fabrics.

     Lunch featured the keynote speaker, Linda MacPhee and her 'Confessions of a Sewaholic'.  

Yoga pants front view

Yoga pants side view


     After lunch, I did a little shopping and then did Easy Fit & Sew Yoga Pants with Jennifer Stern- Hasemann.  We tried on her samples and then she gave us instructions of what to alter to make them fit us.  We did the pattern alterations and then sewed up a pair of yoga pants.  I did have to do the hems at home.  They fit great, a couple of tweaks I might do for the next pair is to add a little in the back crotch height and make the waistband slightly smaller.  This should make them more comfortable for sitting.  I have fabric that I bought and will make another pair, this time longer, ankle length.

Pattern

 
Finished tee, close up

Finished tee as part of on outfit

Sleeve cap fit

     The next day I took another class with Jennifer Stern-Hasemann, this time her Tee Fit Workshop.  Using her The Tee pattern we once again tried on her samples and then one by one we went through what alterations were needed.  She supplied a great sheet to keep track of what needed to be done to the pattern.  After we had all been fitted, we spent the rest of the class going over how to make those alterations.  When I got home, I found some fabric in my stash and made up a tee.  It fit okay but I felt the neckline in the front was too high for me, felt like I was choking.  Also the sleeve cap seemed a little high.  I sent off some photos to Jennifer and she gave me suggestions on altering the pattern a bit more.  I will do that soon  and then make up a new t-shirt with fabric I bought at conference.

Bias scarf doubled

Bias cut cowl scarf

     After lunch which featured a fashion show, I took Bias Cut Cowl Scarf with Julianne Bramson.  She supplied the fabric and all.  She then demonstrated two different ways to make the scarf.  It turns out really cool with a twist in the tube when you make it.  The size of the scarf will depend on the size of fabric you start with.  Mine in long enough that I can wear it doubled up to provide more warmth if I want.

     That evening was a fun River Walk cruise that lasted a good hour and even went through one of the locks.  Fun and informative.

My attempt at free motion sewing
My egg


Eric's eggs

     The last day my first class was Thread Sketching & Fabric Painting with Eric Drexler.  I knew I wasn't good at free motion work and this class just reinforced that.  I had a hard time keeping an even stitch length and an even harder time following the lines.  I don't think the machine helped either as it was an older mechanical machine and the bobbin thread kept coming to the top even after adjusting the tension.  I may try this at home, as I do have three more eggs printed on the wash away stabilizer to practice with.

     After lunch which featured ASG Awards & Recognitions I had one last class, Know Your Shape-Sew Your Shape with Nancy Nix-Rice.  I have taken several of her classes and really enjoyed them.

     All in all I really enjoyed the conference, it re-inspired my love of sewing garments.  I was disappointed though in the vendor floor.  There were way fewer vendors than usual and very few fabric vendors.  I like to buy fabric and patterns from the independent designers at these conferences because the selection at JoAnn Fabrics leaves a lot to be desired.  Next year the conference will be in New York City.  I have never been there so this might be a good excuse to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment