Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 7, 2022

New Striped Cushions

 

Chair with horizontal stripe pillow back

     I had a client that had a couple of metals chairs on her front porch.  The cushions were faded and flat so they needed to be replaced.

Before cushion

     I figured out yardage requirements and the client went shopping for Sunbrella fabric.  She found a pretty blues and yellow striped one.  She wanted a slightly thicker cushion so we went with two inches for the thickness.  I made a template of the seat and sent it off to have Dacron wrapped Dryfast foam cushions constructed.  After a few snafus, I finally got the forms.  The client also chose to have a single welt in the middle of the side edge, no boxing strip.  It also needed to have Velcro tabs to wrap around the back posts to keep them in place.  

Chair with vertical stripe back

     She wanted the covered cord the same fabric as the cushion, no contrasting welt.  Also she did not want zippers.  The welt cord fabric was cut on the bias so it could go around the curves.  There is no covered cord in the back of the cushion.  We did add some lumbar pillows for comfort and style.

Chair with multi directional stripe front
     
     The lumbar pillows were left up to me to play with.  Originally she just wanted vertical stripes but I suggested that they would have to be lined up perfectly all the time otherwise she notice quickly they were off.  She did agree that that would drive her crazy.

Chair with pleated center front

      I had some navy Sunbrella fabric in my stash and added some to the pillows.  I used the stripes vertically, on the bias and horizontally with solid navy in between on one pillow.  On the other pillow I pleated the center section and placed the stripes horizontally.  The back of that pillow had horizontal stripes while the other pillow back was vertical stripes.  I did make sure the same yellow stripe was in the center of the pillow as was on the cushions.  She can now choose which look she wants.


No comments:

Post a Comment