Search This Blog

Thursday, August 3, 2023

ASG Conference 2023

 


     I just got back from NYC.  The American Sewing Guild Conference was held there this year.  My husband and I flew out last week Wednesday.  We had never been to NYC so we wanted a few days to explore.  On Thursday I went and picked up my conference materials while my husband worked.  Then I went out exploring Central Park.  It was about a mile and a quarter from our hotel.  It was a very hot and humid day so I didn't walk all around Central Park but did spend quite a bit of time walking around.

     Friday was the first day of classes.  My first class was Wool Beaded Earrings with Vickie Clonz.  I did make a fun pair of purple earrings.  She had a really neat tool that formed the loop at the top of the wire.


     Next up was How to Fit a Dress Form to Your Body Shape.  He talked about precise measurements and adding layers of batting to create the shape.  After lunch I had Be a Pattern MD (Modifying Designer).  She showed us how to look at photos of clothing and interpret the design details to change up your pattern.  She also showed us how to modify your basic sloper pattern and make it into a princess seam top.

     The next day I had Picking Your Perfect Prints with Nancy Nix-Rice.  She talked about analyzing your features and coloring to get a good print for yourself.  She had lots of scarves that we could look at and asses how they worked on us and others.  Next up was How Many Presser Feet Do You Need.  The concept was good, like choosing the right foot will make the job easier, but it was heavy on Bernina feet and I don't own a Bernina.  After lunch and the fashion show, I had Perfection in Ponte Knit with Nancy Nix-Rice.  Even though I have sewn quite a few items from Ponte, I did learn a few new tricks.

     The last day of the conference was Sunday, I had Handsome Hems by Machine with Katrina Walker.  She made up a great workbook for us that we could put all samples in with step by step instructions.  Some were basic but a few were new to me and so inspiring.     After lunch we had a session about sustainable fashion and fabric choices.  I stayed for most of it.  

     I was very disappointed in the vendor floor, very few vendors and not much affordable fabric.  I did buy three patterns and a couple of pieces of fabric plus some sewing supplies that I can't get at JoAnn Fabrics

     After the conference, my husband and I went to the 9/11 Memorial and Museum.  It was hard to handle all the emotions.  From there we walked down to get the ferry to see the Statue of Liberty and then Ellis Island.  Since we didn't get started until mid-afternoon we didn't get to explore as much of Ellis Island as we had wanted to.  The next day we wandered about the garment district but I didn't buy anything.  I didn't want to buy fabric just to buy it, I wanted a plan in mind.  I just didn't find anything that I wanted to spend the money on.  I did see a pretty fabric that had both edges embroidered in an eyelet design that I thought would make a great summer top but it was $130/yard.  NO WAY!!!



     We also spent time wandering around Times Square, went to a Broadway show (Shucked) and took a bus tour plus walked around by the UN and down by the East River.  It was fun and I would like to go back but I certainly couldn't live there.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment