Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Tomatoes Everywhere






     These are the first two tomatoes we got out of our garden.  I was so excited to pick and eat them.  Now we are overrun with tomatoes.



     This is what I picked yesterday.  During the hot dry days of summer I was at our two garden plots watering every other day.  The plants all grew like crazy and now I can't keep up with the picking.  I have been giving away bags of peppers and tomatoes.  I have six plum tomato plants and six large tomato plants.  I also have about six jalapeno pepper plants and 4 bell pepper plants.  

     The zucchini and green beans are done for the season and the cucumbers are almost done.  The celery and carrots are ready too.

     So what to do with all the tomatoes?  I have made three batches of crockpot tomato sauce.  The first was a traditional one with onions, garlic, green pepper and tomatoes.  We had it with ground beef one day.  It needs a bit more spice.  The next batch I tossed in a whole stalk of celery from the garden.  I served it over ravioli the other day.  A much sweeter taste.

    The third batch I made Mexican and used jalapeno peppers, onion, garlic and then added cumin and cilantro.   I haven't  tasted this one yet.  My freezer is full of containers of sauce and bags and bags of tomatoes.  Luckily my daughter has some room in her freezer and I will be taking tomatoes over to her house on Friday.  

     Tomorrow I want to try roasting some tomatoes before freezing them.  Any suggestions for other things to do with the over abundance of tomatoes?  I am not into canning so that option is out.



     These tomatoes are part of what we picked on Sunday.  

No comments:

Post a Comment