Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

ASG Conference 2014

Sunrise over the Mississippi


     In July I drove down to St Louis for the ASG, American Sewing Guild, Conference.  It was held in downtown St Louis right by the arch.  In the mornings I would get up early to take a walk in the park before breakfast.

     I took a course on using your camera to take better photos for showing off your work.  I started out okay but then it got much more technical than I could comprehend.  Hopefully though I can spend some time going over my notes and playing with some of the settings.

Gail Yellen


     I took a couple of hands on classes with Gail Yellen.  The first was bound buttonholes and the second was serger techniques.  Gail is an excellent instructor and had a great kit for each class.


Bound buttonhole sample


     I also made a Circle Jacket with Marsha McClintock.  It is a PDF pattern that I printed off before leaving.  One evening at home I taped all the pieces together so I was ready to go for class.  I used some rayon batik for the jacket that had a matching crinkle fabric.  I used the crinkle fabric for the band.  It was an easy jacket and I like how it fits.  I will have to make another soon.

Modeling my Circle Jacket


     I also had a lecture on camisole fitting with Anne St Clair, the Bra Lady.  I bought a kit to make myself one to wear under a mesh knit top that I plan on making.  I also had a lecture class on making purses from hard cover books.  She had so many great examples.  I hope to do one soon and then have it as a summer camp one year.

Book purse


     The highlight of the show for me this year was getting my colors done by Nancy Nix-Rice.  She did an outstanding job narrating the fashion show.  One morning before the vendor floor opened and I didn't have a class, Nancy did my colors for me.  We then went onto the vendor floor where we picked out some scarves and jewelry that would go with my coloring.  She also helped me to pick out a bunch of fabulous fabrics to make myself some new outfits.  What a treat.

St Louis Arch from my room at night


     I was sorry when conference ended but happy to get home so I could play with my new things.  Unfortunately I didn't have much time as I had a backlog of work to do and we left for Ireland a few days after getting home.  I am finally getting a chance to sew up some of the fabric I bought.

No comments:

Post a Comment