Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Recreating Valances

Old large valance


     I was asked to recreate some valances for a client's kitchen and eating area.  The designer brought me the old valances to deconstruct and use as a pattern.  The only change was she needed the large valance to be longer so it could be mounted higher on the wall to cover something on the wall that was no longer being used.


Old medium valance

Old small valance


     As I was taking apart the valances I took multiple pictures so I could make them as close as possible to the original.

New fabric with large repeat


          The new fabric was much lighter and I'm sure was going to be quite a difference in the room.

New large valance with added length


       The designer also chose not to do trim on the valances giving them lighter appearance.

Detail of center 

Detail of corner




     I do think the longer large valance is going to be quite a statement over the short one that was hanging there previously.

New medium valance

New small valances


     I was pretty happy that the new ones very closely mimicked the old ones.  The only thing I would have done different next time is draft my own swag pattern.  I'm not happy with the folds and I'm not really sure how the previous fabricator made her pattern because I was having a hard time getting it even and the folds to hang nicely.

     The designer did say the client was happy with the 'new' treatments so that is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment