Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 11, 2015

A Name on a Christmas Stocking


Taking apart the stocking


     It's that time of year again when people are starting to decorate for the holidays.  A request I often get is embroidering names on Christmas stockings.  Sometimes it's as easy as hooping the stocking and stitching but oftentimes it involves taking apart the stocking.

Crosshairs from painter's tape for placement


     In this case I needed to remove the cuff from the stocking in order to stitch the name more easily.  Because the cuff was velvet and had a lining and I wanted only one layer of fabric I needed to take it apart.  Often times when you have two layers of fabric, the top layer will shift and cause problems with stitching.

Topping basted in place


     When deciding what font to use on an item, I look for clues in the item.  In this case I looked at the font used for Merry Christmas and chose one that would compliment it in my software.  I had also measured the size of the area I had to work with and sized the name accordingly.

Starting to stitch the name
 

   I marked where I wanted the name to be and then hooped a sticky stabilizer.  I pressed the fabric to the sticky but also added some pins to make sure it wouldn't move.  Then I placed a water soluble stabilizer on top and basted it down.  This step insures that everything stays in place.

Finished stocking


     After the stitching was all done, I removed the stabilizer from the top and bottom.  I then lightly pressed it from the wrong side and then reconstructed the stocking.

     I believe these extra steps help to present a professional looking item.  So when you ask for a name on a stocking, remember it might take a little extra work to make it look great.

No comments:

Post a Comment