Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Thanksgiving Meal 2015

Cheese and cracker turkey platter


     We celebrate Thanksgiving on the Sunday before Thanksgiving Day.  Our son from Iowa comes in and we have my husband's two sisters and their spouses and children plus our two other children, their spouses and children.  My mom also comes.  This year we had 17 at the table.

Caramel apple sangria


     We started with a cheese and cracker 'turkey' platter that my son put together.  He did a great job and it looked a lot like the photo.  I also had a tray of veggies and dip.  For a holiday drink we had Caramel Apple Sangria.  It was a nice light drink to start the festivities.  My son also mixed this up for us.  He opted to slice the apples into very thin slices instead of chunks.

Pumpkin soup


     The first course was Slow Cooker Pumpkin Soup.  It was very tasty but a lot of work.  I did use a fresh pumpkin from our garden.  That's hard work cutting and peeling a pumpkin.  Next time I might opt for a recipe where you roast the pumpkin first so it would be easier to cut.  It also took a lot longer to cook than the recipe called for.

Butternut squash and cranberry quinoa salad


     Our salad was Butternut Squash and Cranberry Quinoa Salad.  I was so glad I opted to buy the butternut squash already cut up.  So much easier.  I did make some without nuts as my other son is allergic and the grandkids are a little young yet to have the nuts.  My squash did get a little overcooked cuz the grandkids came while I was sautéing it and I got involved with them and almost forgot about the squash.  Fortunately my daughter rescued it.

Green bean casserole

Roasted carrots


     For sides we had Healthy Green Bean Casserole and Spice Roasted Carrots.  Both the green beans and carrots were from the garden.  I really enjoyed both dishes though the carrots were a bit charred.  I haven't done roasted vegetables so maybe that is the way they are supposed to be.  My mom thought the green beans were a little spicy but she is used to very bland food.

Sweet potatoes


     For sweet potatoes this year I made Heavenly Hasselback Sweet Potatoes.  Yum!!  I really enjoyed these but they took a bit of time.  Peeling 14 potatoes wasn't that bad but the slicing was harder, especially after cutting up the pumpkin.  Again I made a few without nuts for my allergic son and the grandbabies.  I made a nice pork roast since I don't like turkey or ham.

Biscuits


     For the bread I made these mouth watering Butter Dip Biscuits.  Mine didn't look quite as nice but they were sure delicious.

Cheesecake


     For dessert my husband made Cranberry Crown Cheesecake.  We tried the version with yogurt cheese.  I drained the yogurt as they instructed but very little liquid came out.  As a result the filling was quite watery compared to when you use cream cheese.  It therefore took a lot longer to bake but it finally solidified.  I was quite tasty but not the same as cream cheese cheesecakes.  My sister-in-law also made some pumpkin pies with canned pumpkin and Cool Whip.

     My other sister-in-law provided the wine.  We had a lovely meal and lots of great conversation.  We also enjoyed some football watching and lots of playing with the grandchildren.  Family, food and fun!  And of course my husband and I start the day running the Lincolnwood Turkey Trot as we have for the past almost 10 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment