Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

What a Mess


Yesterday while teaching sewing class, one of the girls asked for a tissue. With the sewing studio still under construction I went out into the other part of the basement to look for the tissues when I heard a dripping noise. I turned on the lights and there was water dripping from the ceiling with one ceiling tile completely soaked and a bulge in the wall boarded ceiling. I quickly called my husband, ran upstairs to find tissues for the one girl and turn off the dishwasher and then back down and turned off the main water into the house. When my hubby made it home I had already finished teaching and started trying to clean up some of the mess. Our recliners under the leak had gotten wet but since they are vinyl, not a big problem except for the holder in the divider. The well was full of water which was mostly soaked up by a quilt I had in there which was good news since it saved the controller which was also in there from getting soaked. John cut out the ceiling to see if he could figure out what was leaking. It turned out the water filter for the fridge had sprung a leak. There was a lot of water up there, it must have been leaking for a while. Set up the dehumidifier and now it is time to start calling for estimates.

I am sorry to see my afterschool classes ending, the girls have been a lot of fun and I think they enjoyed it also. I do wish I had not been distracted by the water leak but they were real troopers through it all. Lauren and Meghan are almost finished with their ruffle skirts and Katie got a good start on her back slit denim skirt. Sewing camps start on June 20th, and the sewing studio should be finished by then. John from MuddCrete is coming today to repair the floor and Scott will be here Friday to do the painting.

The weather has been exceptionally warm the past few days but I have been enjoying it. A cold front is supposed to come through tonight and drop the temps by about 20-30 degrees. It will be interesting to see what the weather will be like on race day, Sunday. Last weekend a half marathon in the city was cancelled after two hours due to extreme heat. I'm hoping for better temps this weekend. Jennifer and I have one more speed workout tomorrow and then an easy bike and rest day before the race. I am hoping to beat last year's time but not really looking to beat Nashville's time. That was a hard pace to run.

I am almost finished sewing the bathroom tab top cafes for a friend. Probably would have finished them yesterday but with the water leak everything else was put on hold. I even cancelled a meeting for this morning because I wasn't sure how things were going to be in the morning. A client never showed up on Monday for her appointment and she hadn't left me a phone number so I can't call to see what happened. So note to self, ALWAYS get a phone number from a potential client.

Posting one last photo of the recliner set I had to dismantle to drain the water from the armrest. As they say this too shall pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment